Monday 14 May 2012

5 Awesome Horror/Gore Films

Ok, who here doesn't like a good hour and a half of getting totally psychologically scarred while people get chopped up?... Oh right, feel free to leave then because this won't really be your cup of tea.

Right, now that the strange ones have left let's continue: now, I would say I have a very particular taste in horror films but I am always up for trying new things so if you have a favourite that has not been mentioned here post it in the comments and I will definitely check it out. I've resticted myself to five movies so that I make a careful selection but if you guys like this I can make another post with a further five.

So, in no particular order here are five of my favourite horror movies:

The Saw series - This is a riveting series based around the character of Jigsaw who traps criminals in positions where they must make a sacrifice to live. With truly gruesome sequences all the 7 of the films are worth a watch and a rewatch. Check it out if you like gore with a good dose of mindfuck but a minimal amount of frights.

The Children - This film begins with the perfect recipie for disaster: two families at Christmas-time alone in a cabin in the middle of nowhere. Not until the 15th minute do you begin to see some of those things that make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. From there on a progression of more and more gruesome accidents happen until the movie ends with an outright blood-fest carried out by the children. Watch it if you like creepy children taken to the extreme.

Drag Me To Hell - One of the few of these that I watched in the cinema so my experience of it was amazing. A curse is placed upon a young woman after evicting an old lady from her home and accidents become creepier and scarier until the movie ends at a real high. This movie heard me scream twice in a public place so I can guarantee that it's not for the faint of heart. Watch it if you like suspense building and epic culminations.

Session 9 - A movie that I have recently watched, which is the creepiest in terms of ambience. The background music, mostly lone piano notes, adds an effect of eerieness that was only heightened by the huge abandoned mental asylum it takes place in. Check out this film if you like being creeped out of your skin and gore in the last 20 minutes of film.

Orphan - This is the film that I suggest to someone if they haven't ever really gotten into horror films because for me it ticks all the boxes. It has a creepy kid; a happy family with a dark past in a big house in the middle of nowhere; slow psychological breakdown of everyone and a final 30 minutes that are action packed and very scary indeed.

So, you may notice a lack of zombie movies but I am yet to watch one that strikes me as much as these films above have despite me being a good fan of Dawn of the Dead and the Resident Evil franchise.

So, what are your favourites?

No comments:

Post a Comment